For a Windows User, “Windows Explorer” is essential applications and maybe has been a daily usage. But today, if you just rely on this File Manager, maybe you have to think again. With many viruses spread on the world, many viruses exploits the weak of Windows Explorer. Such as disable Folder Options, hide folder and important files, infect the folder setting through folder.htt, dekstop.ini etc.
As an alternative, you may use other File managers. Bellow are freeware file manager that can be used. Some of them have many features and advantages compared with Windows Explorer.
UltraExplorer feature list is aimed at making file management and navigation fast and easier then ever before. Some of the features are :
- Fully configurable user interface : All windows are reconfigurable with multiple docking options as well as the ability to float or be hidden, ToolWindows have Toolbars that maybe hidden or docked in any location, User definable shortcut keys, User definable visual themes
- Fully configurable layouts :Classic Treeview/Listview layout, Dual Listview layout, New ListMode layout , Any combination of the above can also be designed
- Ultra fast display rendering and folder enumeration
- Fully integrated Tabbing feature :Tabbing is context sensitive to which listview is currently active, “New Tab” initial location user definable, The Tabs are drag drop aware. You can drop files on the tab to place them in the folder.
- “BreadCrumb” bar allow fast access to parent folders in the current path hierarchy, Dropdown menus allow direct access to other folders in the folder hierarchy or to the property sheet for the folder
- Supports Total Commander Lister Plug-ins
- An UltraExplorer exclusive. The components used the for file listings, unlike other Explorer replacements, are faster then Explorer itself. This means it is practical to have multiple lists of files visible at one time. This will quickly become a favorite view for many applications.
FreeCommander is an easy-to-use alternative to the standard windows file manager. The program helps you with daily work in Windows. Here you can find all the necessary functions to manage your data stock. You can take FreeCommander anywhere – just copy the installation directory on a CD, USB-Stick or even a floppy disk – and you can even work with this program on a foreign computer.
Main features in FreeCommander:
- Dual-panel technology – horizontal and vertical
- Tabbed interface
- Optional tree view for each panel
- Built in file viewer to view files in hex, binary, text or image format
- File viewer inside archives too
- Built in archive handling: ZIP (read, write), CAB (read, write), RAR (read)
- Nested archive handling
- Easy access to system folders, control panel, desktop and start menu
- Copy, move, delete, rename files and folders
- Wipe files
- Create and verify MD5 checksums
- File splitting
- File properties and context menu
- Calculation of folder size
- Folder comparison / synchronization
- Modification of file date and attributes
- Folder / program favorites
- File searching (inside archive too)
- File filters for display
- User defined columns for detailed view
- DOS command line
- Multiple language support
ExplorerXP is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non – commercial use) file manager for Windows 2000/XP. Unlike the regular Windows Explorer, it displays the total size of each folder and allows you to browse multiple folders from a tabbed interface
Main features in ExplorerXP:
- Tabbed interface – all your windows (open folders) will appear inside a single ExplorerXP application.
- Easy access to My Computer, Recycle Bin , My Documents & Desktop
- Drag & Drop with Explorer, the tab bar and special folders on the main toolbar.
- Multy rename tool – allows to rename multiple files in one step.
- Displays folder size information and the real size of compressed files & folders.
- Folder Size Cache – greatly improves the speed of the folder size calculations between sessions.
- Merge/Split Tools
- Advanced copy/move.
- Unicode support.
- Small download size – only 410 KB.